Al-Shifa Eye Hospital was designated as a WHO Collaborating Centre for Prevention of Blindness in 1992. Its terms of reference are:
- To participate in the development of activities for the prevention and control of blindness nationally and regionally.
- To provide training for human resource development for eye health care delivery.
- To plan and conduct research related to clinical care, service delivery, sociological and economic aspects and epidemiology, eye disease.
- To develop field practice model areas for comprehensive eye care delivery.
- To support the collection, development and dissemination of appropriate
material for information, education and communication in eye health.
- To provide on request advisory services to national, regional and international authorities in prevention of blindness.
The main contribution of the Centre is the formulation of the National Program for Prevention of Blindness. A number of workshops & seminars have been conducted in collaboration with WHO on the topics ranging from Childhood Blindness and Diabetes etc.