Al-Shifa Trust was established in 1985. It is a non-governmental, non-political, charitable organization. President of Pakistan is the ex-officio Patron-In-Chief of the trust .The board of trustees comprises of retired service men, businessmen, bureaucrats and professionals.
The aims and objectives of the trust are prevention and control of blindness by providing standard and sustainable eye care services which are accessible and affordable, human resource development through training of doctors, nurses and paramedics and to establish facilities for research in ophthalmology.
The Trust Complex is situated 35 kilometers from the capital Islamabad on the outskirts of Rawalpindi alongside the Grand Trunk Road. It has components i.e Al-Shifa Trust Eye Hospital Rawalpindi, Sukkur, Kohat, and Muzaffrabad.
“Total budget of Al – Shifa Trust for the year 2010 – 2011 is of Rs.530 Million ($6.3Million) which includes Rs.261Million for revenue / recurring expenditure and Rs.269Million for capital expenditure. 40% of the total budget comes from the public donations and zakat from within Pakistan and abroad and 30% is received in the form of grants from various government and other departments whereas the rest of 30% is generated from hospital income. Out of the total patient stream of Al–Shifa Trust, 70% of the total patients are treated on totally free of cost basis where as the rest of 30% are provided treatment on highly subsidized rates.”
We acknowledge with thanks the participation of all our donors, individuals/ organizations, whose generous contribution has made it possible to build this hospital and its components and are continuously donating for the current running costs of the Trust. We also thank the Al-Shifa team,doctors, paramedics and other workers who have worked tirelessly to make this dream come true.